How Gingerbread has made an impact on my life – Lidia’s story

Posted 21 March 2019

Single parent Lidia was born in South Africa and now lives in the UK. Her teenage daughter is one of her inspirations in life and her Why. As well as being a personal trainer, nutritional adviser and life coach, Lidia is a blogger – here, she writes about her connection to Gingerbread.

Firstly, I would like to say that if I had known about Gingerbread charity years ago, I am sure I would have been in a better place. I was very alone at a point in my life as a single parent. I was able to get out of that space, and now I love working with Gingerbread and love supporting them.

Making my voice heard

I am very grateful for Gingerbread today as they have given me a voice.  As a single parent, we don’t often have the opportunity to speak out and say what we feel or share our stories with the world. I have been very lucky to be able to work with Gingerbread in the media, write blogs and be part of their campaigns. I’ve been able to share my story for the main purpose of inspiring other single parents out there as this is a huge passion of mine, so Gingerbread indirectly has allowed me and helped me live out my passion and purpose in life.

Peer support

Gingerbread has helped me flourish as a single parent and given me the opportunity to set up a single parent friendship group. Many years ago, I was in a very bad place – I was alone and did not have any friends or support. Sadly, I didn’t know about Gingerbread back then, but I later found out about them and just over one year ago, I decided I would love to start a friendship group.

It has been so rewarding. I felt that I wanted to help other single parents out there to find support and friendship. I wanted to give them something I never had many years ago: someone to meet up with and just share similar experiences.  I am so happy that I am able to be the co-coordinator of my group, and grateful for Gingerbread for giving me the amazing opportunity to meet such beautiful, inspiring fellow single parents out there.

Single Parent Strength

I also now understand what Single Parent Strength is. Gingerbread has helped me to know and understand that I am not the only single parent out there that is going through the same issues: we all face them together. Reading the amazing single parent stories and comments on the forum on Gingerbread website has made me realize we need each other as we can all be stronger together.  I used to feel very much alone and didn’t realize that others were going through the same things I was: Gingerbread helped me know that I’m not alone.

May every single parent have the most amazing Single Parents’ Day! Remember: you are one of a kind and you are stronger then you think. You are a superhero!

Have Gingerbread’s services made an impact on your life? Email us to share your story: campaign@gingerbread.org.uk

Write a comment

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *