We are Gingerbread.
We are fighting to create a world where all single parents and their children don’t just survive. They thrive.
We challenge. We support. We connect.
We are brave, ambitious, trustworthy and inclusive.
Why is our mission to support single parent families?
Life for the 1.8 million single parents in the UK has never been harder.
Despite most being in work, single parents are twice as likely to be in poverty than a parent in a couple. They face prejudice and judgement. And the loneliness and isolation they experience compounds things, putting their mental health and wellbeing at serious risk.
That’s why we’re here to fight for single parents and their children.
Disadvantage, inequality and injustice
- The unique needs of single parent families are often ignored by government, public, private and third sectors
- Single parent families are twice as likely to live in poverty as couple parent families
- Most single parents work but they are often trapped on low incomes that don’t cover basic living costs
- Single parents have less flexibility than couple parents and rely on childcare so they can work and progress. Expensive childcare is a barrier to work and means many single parents are forced into debt
Loneliness, isolation and stress
- Single parents are more likely to experience issues with their mental health and wellbeing
- Financial, emotional and social pressures on single parents make it harder for them to cope with everyday life and life shocks
- There are many routes into single parenthood (bereavement, relationship breakdown and domestic violence) and these increase the risk of loneliness and isolation
We campaign against the inequalities and injustices that single parents face every single day. And we challenge the stigma and negative perceptions around being a single parent.
We provide expert advice and information to support all single parents so that they have the tools to support their children and themselves.
We provide a support network so that, with Gingerbread, no single parent is ever alone. And we work closely with those who share our values and our objectives.
We are brave – We want to change the world for single parents, to do this we need to be brave with our words and our actions.
We are ambitious – We’re a small charity with big ambitions and we frequently punch above our weight.
We are trustworthy – We are experts in our field, we are well known and we have a proven track record spanning over 100 years.
We are inclusive – We are open, accessible and here to fight for all single parents and their children.
To find out more about our vision, mission and objectives, please take a look at our strategy for 2022 – 2030.