Celebrate Single Parents’ Day 2019
On 21 March, we celebrate Single Parents' Day to bring much needed attention to the efforts and achievements of single parents. There are two million single parents in Britain, and we use Single Parents' Day to honour their sacrifice and hard work.
This year, we had many single parents sharing their stories on Single Parents' Day both on Twitter and through our Single Parent Stories:
- Read how Gingerbread helped Aneita with information, advice and campaigning opportunities.
- Read the ways Lidia has found her Single Parent Strength.
Ways you can get involved in Single Parents' Day
(1.) Reach out to a single parent in your life.
Whether it's your own parent, another relative or a friend, reach out to them on the day, send them a text, give them a call, dedicate a social media post, let them know what a great job they are doing.
(2.) Support Gingerbread - we're the leading national charity working with single parent families.
- Check out our donation page.
- You can make a one off text donation by texting 'SPD' to 70085 to donate £3. This costs £3 plus a standard rate message. Alternatively, you can opt to give any whole amount up to £20.
- You can make a regular text donation by texting '19SPD' to 70085 to give £3 a month. This costs £3 per month plus a std rate message. Alternatively, you can opt to give any whole amount up to £20 per month. Thanks!
(3.) Use the hashtag #SingleParentsDayUK to let people know why you think Single Parents are special and do an amazing job.
(4.) Read and share stories about single parents, if you are a single parent yourself, then share your story and inspire others. You can also share some of our stories around your networks of friends, co-workers and family members to explore.
(5.) Go Ginger for Single Parents' Day! Don your best ginger (or orange) apparel, paint your face, or if you really want to go all out, dye your hair! Share the images on social media to tell everyone that you’re supporting single parents across England and Wales while encourage them to make a donation of £3 by texting GOGINGER to 70085.
(6.) Fundraise for Gingerbread services on Single Parents' Day.
- Fundraise at home: host a breakfast, lunch or dinner and charge an entry fee.
- Fundraise at work: hold a bake sale, dress up, or dress down and charge a fee or host a quiz night.
- Fundraise at school or university: from holding a non-uniform day to a football tournament, games tournament, talent show or a bake sale.
- Create a fundraising page: Use JustGiving or Facebook Donate to fundraise on the day.