More about child maintenance

Child maintenance usually includes payment of regular amounts of money to the parent who the child lives with most of the time. The amount depends on how much your child’s other parent earns, how long your child spends with them and whether they have other children to support.

Child maintenance has to be paid for children who are:

  • Under 16
  • Under 20 in full-time non-advanced education (ie A-levels or equivalent)
  • A 16 or 17 year old who has left full-time education but has registered for work or training. In this situation, you must still be receiving child benefit for the young person.

You can claim child maintenance by arranging payment directly with your child’s other parent, or if that is not right for you, then you can claim through the Child Maintenance Service.

Find out more about making arrangements for child maintenance

New Report