When is the Gingerbread webchat available?
- Mondays/Tuesdays/Wednesdays: 10am to 1pm
- Thursdays: 1pm to 4pm
- Fridays: 1pm to 6pm
- The helpline is closed on all public holidays
- Upcoming helpline/webchat closures
Fri 17th June: CLOSED (reopens Tues 21st June at 10am)
Mon 20th June: CLOSED (reopens Tues 21st June at 10am)
Please check out our information pages to access the webchat window.
Please note that we cannot provide benefit calculations via webchat. For a calculation, please call our helpline or use our online benefit calculator.
How do I use Gingerbread’s webchat?
To access our webchat advice service you must be viewing one of our Information pages. If an adviser is free to take part in a webchat, then a webchat tab will appear in the bottom right corner of your browser. It looks like this:
Before we start the chat, we will ask you some quick questions about your age, sex and single parent status. We’ll also ask you to give us a short explanation of what you would like help with.
Once you have answered these questions, your chat will begin. Please allow advisers time to respond to your questions.
If you would like to keep a copy of your webchat conversation, you can do this using the buttons menu above the chatbox.
- Print a copy by pressing the print button on the left.
- Save a copy. This is also done by pressing the print button. When asked to select a printer, select the ‘Save as PDF’ option.
- Email yourself a copy by pressing the email button in the middle. Then fill in your email address. A copy of your conversation will be emailed to you once the chat is over.
- The sound button on the right toggles sound for notifications.
After the webchat is over, we would appreciate it if you could fill in our feedback survey. This will help us to improve the service.
Any advice provided on this webchat is for general guidance only and based solely on the information provided by you. Whilst we endeavour to ensure that the advice is correct, no warranty – express or implied – is given as to its accuracy and we do not accept any liability for error or omission.
The information you provide when you use webchat is kept confidential, unless we are worried someone might be at risk of harm. Your details will be stored securely and only used for evaluation and monitoring and for the purposes of delivering the service.
Please be aware that our system will automatically close the webchat with one of our advisers if you do not respond to a message within four minutes.