Personal skills training
We know that being a single parent can be tough. There can be so many challenges to deal with. Thinking about work might be the last thing on your mind particularly if you have been out of work for a long time or haven’t worked before. Feeling confident about how to apply for a job and enter the workplace can be difficult.
Our personal skills training courses help you take those first steps. We help you meet other single parents in a safe, supportive environment. With our friendly trainers, you’ll receive one-to-one mentoring as well as group support to help you improve your confidence, self-esteem and practical skills that can help you in your day-to-day life.
What can you do on a personal skills training programme?
- Build your confidence, motivation and social skills
- Learn basic IT skills
- Develop ‘life skills’ such as time management, assertiveness and presentation skills
- Experience a volunteer and education ‘taster session’ to see if they’re right for you
- Meet other single parents in your area.
The personal skills training course is there to help you get the confidence and knowledge to make decisions about what’s best for you and your family. We give you an idea of the different paths available to you including education, training, volunteering and work to help you plan ahead and discover what you want to do next.
The workshops have helped me, along with many other single parents with issues of isolation, increase my confidence and set personal goals, for example. I realise that I am not alone out there.Single mum Marie who completed a personal skills training course
How will you benefit?
- Our Building Futures programme focused on developing confidence and skills in young single parents. It achieved a ‘positive progression’ for 70-80% of all of the single parents who attended, leading them into further training, education or employment
- Our Creating Connections programme focused on supporting single parents with their mental health and teaching self-management. It directly supported more than 200 single parents in Cardiff and Newport, and over 1,500 people were helped more widely through peer support and information.
I felt isolated and alone with no one to turn to until I found out about Gingerbread and Creating Connections Workshops through the job centre. It is amazing to meet other single parents who are going through similar struggles and are all supportive of each other through issues and problems.A single parent who completed a personal skills course
Interested in joining a personal skills training course?
Fill out the form below to register your interest in the personal skills training course. The information provided here will help us identify the best fit for you. We’ll contact you by phone or email within a week.