Moving in with a new partner

Moving in with a new partner

Starting a new relationship is a really exciting time for you, your partner and your family. The process of bringing a new partner into your children’s lives can be difficult – everyone will react differently and your situation may be also influenced by your relationship with your child’s other parent.

This guide will help you to organise the practicalities of moving in with your partner, and allow you to focus on your family and adapting to each other’s needs. Moving forward, it can still be hard to keep on top of what needs to be done and when.

Kate discusses her experiences of re-partnering and top tips for anyone who is thinking of making the move themselves.

Supporting your family through the transition

Once you’ve decided with your partner that you’d like to become a step-family, it’s important to talk openly to your children about what that means and how things will be different. Family Lives provides a useful list of things to think about before you become a step-family. There is also advice available for your new partner, to help him or her to adjust to new responsibilities and relationships.

If things become difficult, it can be useful to get professional help. Relate runs local groups and offers family counselling to help families to talk openly about their feelings and move forward together.

Your living arrangements

Before moving in together, it’s important to get advice about your housing options, so that you are aware of the choices available to you. Family Lives offers advice on what to consider before you move in together. If you do need more advice on your housing rights you’ll find lots of information on the Shelter website, and Shelter also has a helpline if you need to talk it through with an adviser. Advicenow has lots of information for couples moving in together, including details about your rights when living together.

Your finances

Moving in with your partner will mean changes to your finances, and it can get complicated. When you live with a partner you’re classed as a household for benefit purposes, so you will need to be reassessed based on both of your incomes and circumstances.

You can use the Turn2us online benefit calculator to check what benefits and tax credits you’re entitled to now that your circumstances have changed. If you receive tax credits then you’ll also need to let the tax credits helpline know that you’ve got a new partner living with you. You need to do this within a month. If your household income has increased, your entitlement to tax credits may have changed, so in order to avoid an overpayment, you should let them know about the change as soon as you can.

You’ll also need to let the child benefit office know that you have a new partner – you can report this online through the website. You will also need to contact your local council to let them know you’re no longer the only adult in your household. This means your single person discount will no longer apply. If you receive housing benefit you’ll need to let the council know about the changes to your household. If you receive other benefits such as jobseekers allowance, employment support allowance, universal credit you’ll also need to let your jobcentreplus know that you’re now living with a partner.

If you have more than two children in your new household, make sure that you’re up to date with the new child tax credit rules – see our information about the ‘two-child limit’.

Child maintenance

If you’re receiving child maintenance from your child’s other parent, there don’t need to be any changes to your arrangement, unless your children are going to be spending a different amount of time with their other parent.

If your new partner pays child maintenance to someone else, it may need to be reassessed as the calculation should take into account that your new partner is now living in a household with your children. For more details on how the calculation works see the factsheet Using the Child Maintenance Service.

If you haven’t got a child maintenance arrangement in place our interactive guide can help you decide on the best child maintenance arrangement for your family.

Blurred background image - mostly grey with pinks, whites and blues

Support for you

You might want to share your experiences and get support from friends or other single parents who have been through similar changes. Joining a group, like a Gingerbread friendship group or chatting to other single parents in our online forums can be helpful and supportive. There are forum threads on both full-time and part-time work.

New Report