Emotional Support

Date last updated: 18 May 2022

This page will direct you to emotional support options you can find for you and your family. You may also be able to access services through local options such as your doctor and Citizens Advice.

This page is advice for you as a parent. We have advice tailored for young people on our page, ‘Children who have lost a parent‘.

Coping with family life after the loss of a partner can be incredibly difficult. Grief affects people in different ways and it’s important that as well as supporting your children, you have support for you. Take time to talk with your children about your feelings as well as theirs. It’s likely that you and your family will need to adjust to a number of changes that will have an impact on your daily lives.

Looking after your family

Every child will react differently to loss, but spending time together as a family will help you to understand what your children need. Winston’s Wish is a childhood bereavement charity that helps families rebuild their lives after a loss. The charity has a helpline and email advice service for parents, as well as a dedicated website for young people.

Grief Encounter also offers support for children, young people, and their families through bereavement.

Our page for children who have lost a parent is written specifically for children with some simple advice and links to other organisations they can talk to for help.

Our page on support for children and young people gives you more information on where to go for help with related difficulties your children may experience.

Looking after yourself

There is support available to help you come to terms with your loss. You might feel that you don’t need support outside of your family and friends – or you may want to talk to someone removed from your situation. Mind, Cruse Bereavement Care, and Widowed and Young are all organisations that can offer advice and guidance.

Blurred background image - mostly grey with pinks, whites and blues

Getting support from others

You might want to share your experiences and get support from friends or other single parents who have been through similar changes. Joining a group like a Gingerbread friendship group or chatting to other single parents on our online forums can be helpful and supportive.

Cruse Bereavement Care

Leading charity for bereavement support in the UK

Cruse Bereavement Care have lots of helpful information on their website and you can also get support over the phone. They also offer face-to-face support.

Find your local Cruse service

Widowed and Young

Widowed and Young is a charity that helps people who are widowed under the age of 50. They offer peer support and organise social events, and provide guidance on how to talk to children and how to cope with challenging situations.

Visit their website

New Report