The Gingerbread Single Parent helpline is closed on Monday 25 May for the public holiday. Lines reopen as usual on Tuesday 26 May at 10am.
Here are some other services that may be able to help:
- If your call is an emergency please contact the emergency services by dialling 999
- For housing advice, you can call Shelter's helpline on 0808 800 4444 Open 8am - 8pm on weekdays and 8am - 5pm on weekends, 365 days a year.
- The National Domestic Violence helpline is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week on 0808 2000 247
- For emotional support you can contact the Samaritans, open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week 08457 90 90 90
The Gingerbread Single Parent Helpline provides support and expert advice on anything from dealing with a break-up, to going back to work or sorting out maintenance, benefit or tax credit issues. Our friendly advisers will talk through your options and will send you useful information. Your call is confidential.
When can I call the helpline?
- Mondays: 10am to 6pm
- Tuesdays/Thursdays/Fridays: 10am to 4pm
- Wednesdays: 10am-1pm and 5pm-7pm.
Phone today for free, on 0808 802 0925.
- Try to organise a quiet place where you can talk
- Your call is free, confidential and personal to you
- Have a pen and paper to hand and -if possible- any documents you wish to discuss
- Our helpline does get busy but keep trying if you can’t get through
- Your call may take up to 20 minutes so please set aside some time
What can I get information about?
- Welfare benefits and tax credits
What will it cost?
Your call is completely free if you call from a landline or from the following mobile phone networks - 3, T-Mobile, Vodafone, O2, Orange, Everything Everywhere (EE), and Virgin Mobile.
We cannot guarantee that calls made from other mobile networks will be free, and calls will not be free if made from outside the UK.
Our advice service and activity covers England and Wales. If you live in Scotland, please contact One Parent Families Scotland. If you live in Northern Ireland, please contact Gingerbread NI.
What if English isn't my first language?
If you do not speak English as a first language, we can offer you an interpreted call back – call the helpline and leave a voicemail with your name, phone number and which language you require and we will aim to call you back within one working day. All calls will be from a withheld number and we will not leave a message without your permission.
Rather get information online? Then look through our A-Z Factsheets packed full of practical information.
The Gingerbread Single Parent Helpline offers information and advice to single parents across England and Wales. It is supported by the Department for Education, HMRC, Big Lottery and other funders. Our partner organisation in Scotland, One Parent Families Scotland runs the Lone Parent Helpline on 0808 801 0323.
The Gingerbread Single Parent Helpline is accredited by the Telephone Helplines Association Member Quality Standard.
Send us your feedback
Make a complaint