Changes to our services in Wales
Posted 14 November 2018
In February 2018, we celebrated 100 years of working for and with single parent families. Things have changed a lot over the decades, but our values have remained consistent. With members and campaigners at the heart of everything we do, Gingerbread has changed laws, influenced government, and challenged both stigma and stereotypes.
An important part of this work has been our training programmes. Through these, we have supported single parents into employment and training, as well as helping them to develop their confidence and skill.
Looking to the future, we want to reach more single parents than we currently can with our training programmes. After careful consultation and consideration, we have now ended all of our employment programmes in Wales and will not be embarking on new training or employment partnerships.
Find out more about our future strategy and plans.
Our future offer for single parents in Wales
Moving forward, single parents in Wales can access support from Gingerbread by:
- Calling our free Single Parent Helpline and speaking to a specialist single parent adviser on 0808 802 0925 for help with anything from child maintenance, benefit or tax issues or going back to work
- Accessing our extensive online single parent information content, which covers topics from separation and bereavement to childcare and managing holidays as a single parent: gingerbread.org.uk/information/
- Joining one of our Peer Support groups in Swansea, Cardiff, Aberystwyth or Rhyl to get support from other single parents through fun family activities. (Or, if there isn’t a peer support group, you can start one to find other single parents nearby)
- Joining in the discussion with others like you on our single parent forum
- Becoming a Gingerbread member and joining our social media campaigns to help influence policy and public opinion for single parents.
Recognising our employment work in Wales
As our employment programmes have wound down in Wales, we want to recognise the many achievements of the team including:
- Growing Together, which helped young single parents across Caerphilly, Newport, Torfaen and Monmouthshire to develop practical skills that could help turn their houses into homes
- Creating Connections, which directly supported more than 200 single parents in Cardiff and Newport with their mental health
- Our Welsh Marks & Start programme, which helped single parents across Cardiff and Newport, Swansea and Neath, and Methyr and Ebbw Vale to get back into work.
We’d like to thank all of the staff and partners who have supported the delivery of our employment and training programmes across Wales over the last few years.