Treasurer – Chair of the Finance Committee, Board of Trustees
26 Oct 2019
We are looking for a Trustee for Gingerbread who can take up the role of Treasurer. The Treasurer is the Chair of the Finance Committee and plays an essential role on our Board. The specific tasks and responsibilities of the Treasurer are described in the role description (below).
The Board of Trustees are responsible for the overall governance and strategic direction of the charity, developing Gingerbread’s aims, objectives and goals in accordance with the Articles of Association as well as legal and regulatory guidelines. As a Trustee you have the following responsibilities:
- Ensuring that Gingerbread complies with its governing document (its Articles of Association), charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- Ensuring that Gingerbread pursues its objects as defined in its governing document
- Ensuring Gingerbread applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects, i.e. it must not spend money on activities which are not included in the objects, however worthwhile they may be
- Contributing actively to the Board of Trustees’ role by giving firm strategic direction to Gingerbread by: setting overall policy; defining goals; setting targets; and evaluating performance against agreed targets
- Safeguarding the good name and values of Gingerbread and acting in its best interests
- Ensuring the financial stability of Gingerbread and managing its resources responsibly
- Protecting and managing the property of Gingerbread and ensuring the proper investment of Gingerbread’s funds
- Appointing and supporting the Chief Executive Officer and monitoring his/her performance.
Trustees generally meet for full Board which are held 4 times a year and also include 2 Board strategy half days. Trustees are expected to attend all meetings.
The Treasurer will chair the Finance Committee of the Board which meets 4 times a year and more frequently as required. The Treasurer may also meet with the Finance team and the CEO as required. Currently we are meeting with more frequency and any applicants should be able to accommodate this time commitment.
Trustees’ expenses (for travel to Board meetings and overnight accommodation where required) are paid, but the role itself is without remuneration.
How to apply
Please download the role application pack (below) and e-mail Victoria Benson (Victoria.Benson@gingerbread.org.uk), providing a short statement outlining why you would like to be our Treasurer and what skills and experience you would bring to this role, as well as a short CV.
Closing date for applications: 26th October at 10am
Interview date: The Nominations Committee will interview candidates during November and will make recommendations to the Board. Successful candidates will initially be co-opted to the Board, and subsequently may be able to stand for election.
To keep our administration costs to a minimum, we will only be contacting candidates who are shortlisted for interview.