Policy and Research Lead
Hybrid and remote working (flexible working requests welcomed)
Hours of work
35 hours per week (flexible working requests welcomed)
29 Oct 2021
Closing date: 9am, Friday 29th October
We are the leading national charity working with single parent families. Since 1918, we have been at the forefront of shaping policy and services that support single parents. Today, there are two million single parent families in the country. We champion their voices and keep their needs at the heart of everything we do.
We want a society in which single parent families are treated equally and fairly.
To get there, we provide information to help single parents support themselves and their families through our information pages, helpline, forum, and peer support groups. To create lasting change, we campaign and influence policy to reduce stigma against single parents and make services more accessible to all families – whatever their shape or size.
Overall purpose of the post
The Policy and Research Lead will play a crucial part in helping Gingerbread achieve its mission, working towards a world where single parent families are valued and have the opportunity to thrive. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing policy and research projects which achieve positive change for single parent families.
You will need to be a strong self-starter and plan and direct your work, including managing primary research projects and developing and implementing influencing strategies to achieve change for the UK’s 2 million single parents.
You will have a central role in Gingerbread’s varied policy and research activities, including:
- Leading research projects, developing strong policy recommendations, and acting as a source of internal and external expertise on single parents’ issues.
- Developing impactful policy influencing strategies to improve the lives of single parents, looking to influence Westminster and other audiences to achieve change.
- Working collaboratively with colleagues and external stakeholders to communicate Gingerbread’s policy and research activities.
- Working with colleagues to secure funding for the organisation’s policy and research activity.
Key tasks and responsibilities
- Acting as a source of expertise on the issues for single parents, lead work on specific policy projects, maintain up to date knowledge on research relating to single parent families, and identify and support responsive briefing opportunities
- Build and maintain up to date knowledge of policy, parliamentary and other legislative developments affecting the lives of single parents.
- Communicate effectively and regularly with Gingerbread services and Communications team to ensure a two-way dialogue of emerging issues and changes to policy and practice, affecting the information and advice Gingerbread offers single parents.
Research, policy development and influencing
- Communicate the key concerns of single parents to policymakers by producing written materials and responses to consultations (including oral evidence), completed to a high standard.
- Manage relevant research projects and budgets where required to inform policy development and provide expertise on quantitative research within the charity.
- Identify and build strong relationships with key stakeholders, including civil servants, Parliamentarians, and policy contacts within the charity and research sectors, and seek partnerships to maximise Gingerbread’s impact and influence.
- Develop influencing strategies to ensure Gingerbread maximises the impact across priority policy themes and research projects and achieves a tangible and identifiable change in policy and practice for single parents.
- Ensure the Head of Policy and Campaigns, Gingerbread’s Senior Management Team and Board are kept up to date with policy and research projects, influencing activities, and emerging issues.
- Contribute to the development and delivery of Gingerbread’s organisational strategy.
Media and campaigning
- Contribute to media work, maintaining and building Gingerbread’s public profile in interviews and media planning across key policy areas.
- Take an active role in supporting Gingerbread’s campaigns, including working with the Head of Policy and Campaigns, Campaigns Officer, and Communications Team to support the development of campaigning strategies and maximise the contribution of single parents to Gingerbread’s campaigning work.
- Write and lead funding bids in key priority areas of policy work.
- Develop and manage project budgets, taking responsibility for ensuring resources are used effectively, reporting regularly, and managing relationships with funders.
- Take an active approach to manage and planning work in line with Gingerbread priorities, delivering work to a high standard and communicating effectively with colleagues throughout.
Managing work and contributing to the team
- Manage and plan own work in line with organisational and team priorities.
- Work constructively within the Policy and Campaigns team and teams across Gingerbread, respecting and supporting colleagues and sharing policy and research expertise.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues, external stakeholders, and networks, to maximise dissemination opportunities for Gingerbread’s policy and research outputs, ensuring effective and timely communication, especially ahead of key moments such as report launches.
- To actively contribute to organisational cohesion, encouraging cross-team working, and a problem-solving approach
- To work in line with Gingerbread values and Code of Conduct
- To take personal responsibility and ensure compliance with corporate policies, including safeguarding, confidentiality, health and safety and data protection
- To champion and promote equal opportunities and diversity both in your area of work and the wider organisation.
- To ensure single parent voice and experience informs the design and development of your work where appropriate
- To take personal responsibility for keeping up to date with issues affecting single parents and the charity’s work.
- To take a flexible approach to work and duties and carry out other duties as directed by the Chief Executive
How to Apply
Please send your CV and Cover Letter discussing your suitability and motivation for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org