widow aged 50 who has a daughter aged 12 in receipt of war widow pension

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum widow aged 50 who has a daughter aged 12 in receipt of war widow pension

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  SOLOMUMMY 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
  • #23471 Report


    universal credit:


    a widow of working age with a daughter aged 13 in receipt of a War Widow Pension from the Ministry of Defence  living in rented accomodation   a two bedroom flat in london   can she have universal credit or must she go to work ?

    what are the rules regarding universal credit and widows of Armed Forces Servicemen say the widows are under pensionable age but are in receipt of War Widows Pensions ???

    the pension is enough for them to live but need help for their rent and council tax . Will their rent paid in full like before through the council ?



    suppose   one war widow  aged 56  is working and get around £12.500 a year or thereabouts…….Is she entitled for full benefits including their rent under Universal Credit ?


    What is this Benefit cap ?



    #23473 Report


    Hiya, it might be best to give the gingerbread team a ring.


    #23488 Report


    Under uc as soon as you work one hour you’re no longer entitled to full benefits. Eg the allowance set by uc that you receive if you don’t work.

    Under the benefit cap war widow pension is excluded. So you can exceed the threshold, but in your circumstances this is unlikely to be applicable.

    £10 of the war pension would be disregarded when calculating uc. However, council tax bills and housing benefit if already receiving May disregard the full amount of the pension when calculating entitlement to council tax relief and hb. Much also maybe down to which elements of the war pension you get eg child element etc.

    If you have savings and investments between 6-16k this will also affect any benefit entitlement.

    assuming that you have a low pension totalling say 8.5k a year then you’d be entitled to uc. However the situation without full facts is difficult to calculate. I’d suggest that you contact Veterans Welfare Service and ask if they known of a benefit advisory service specific to your situation; cab and gingerbread I would think would be too generalist.


    Re the working, with that income you’d again receive some universal credit on a sliding scale. Again the benefit advisor would be able to let you know of the best course of action.


    Are your family in london? It maybe that relocating to family for a support network could also be beneficial especially if the death was recent.


    i hope this helps.


    #23508 Report


    Hello Solomumy


    I want to know the corret and concrete answer to my message ….ok let’s start from the first two lines

    I want a yes or no answer.


    what are the rules of UC and young war widows in receipt of a war widows pension?


    That figure of £12.500 is the latest in the budget re tax free……..no tax payable…..What are the basis to qualify for full UC……..What is considered ” low income”


    how much must you be earning in order to qualify for full UC ?

    If you are in receipt of war widow pension and you are 50 or 55….are you entitled to UC or ….you must find a job or what ??

    Are there any exception?

    The sooner Labour get back in and abolish the whole thing…the better.






    #23521 Report


    The questions are not yes or no questions!

    you also need to taper your tone as this is a forum and you’re not paying me for this service/advice!

    • 12.5k is the new tax free allowance of you work – totally separate to uc
    • If you earn nothing you’d get £289 a month plus some towards housing
    • in your circumstances if you claimed if you’d be expected to work earning a minimum equivalent if 35 hours at minimum wage as I said before! You’re below retirement age so expected to contribute towards  society unless you have a private pension you can live off. Though tbh you’re probably going to be way better off financially than most!
    • If you want to know more about uc google the gov site yourself
    • all other questions to veteran benefit adviser as too specific to your circumstances as I said above
    #23527 Report


    thank you dear for the reply

    I understand…but my mind is not the same these days….i have been on internet all day   googling all sorts of website.

    this tory government dont give a damn about single mothers or lone widows with kids.

    I read a lot of distressing stories on various sites……Gosh is not pleasant reading.


    yes in my case because of my war widow pension   i can just manage…this is for ever but not for my daughter….ok as long as she is a student.

    I read  some people are taking the government to court about uc……..are you aware of this ??

    actually i blame the people themselves…they voted the tory in……..now they are paying for it…..including all the lone female parents.

    do you think labour  will do better ?????

    On UC website….I put widow  aged 55 with young daughter   aged 15  in receipt of war widow pension   …….I dont get anything……gosh you can be 58 single  and they now expect you to go and find a job or  dont give a damn about you…..terrible.

    what to do my dear.

    i hope you are ok solomummy.

    take care



    #23532 Report


    I am aware of lots of different appeals and cases ongoing. However, the issue that we have to manage right now is that this is now the system and we have to work with it. Sadly there are plenty of tragic stories relating to UC and plenty more that are not reported. The fact that some food banks no longer need referrals just evidence of UC claim says it all.

    1. I think that you would be entitled to UC. However, you really do need a professional benefits advisor with specific knowledge of war pension rules as there’s a great variety of difference between a pension for example of a high officer and non-officer, plus the variety of additional add-ons within the pension that vary from recipient to recipient. You would be well advised to call either the veterans or Royal Legion as they can offer more knowledgeable information. It could be that you’d be able to claim JSA instead.  https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/get-support/finance/benefits-advice/benefits-calculator/ 0808 802 8080 from 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week British legion

      Veterans UK helpline: 0808 1914 2 18 (Monday to Thursday from 7:30am to 6:30pm: Friday from 7:30am to 5:00pm

    2. Have you claimed the Bereavement Support Payment? If not do so. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/bereavement-support-payment-claim-form
    3. You can apply to join the Veterans Concessionary Travel Scheme in London as you are a war widow or war widower getting financial help from the War Pensions or Armed Forces Compensation Schemes – Under the Veterans Concessionary Travel Scheme, you will be issued with an Oyster photocard. You can use this to travel free at any time within London on the bus, underground, Docklands Light Railway (DLR), tram and London overground services. You can find out more information about this scheme by contacting Transport for London. Their contact details are: Helpline: 0845 331 9872 (open Monday to Friday, 9.00am – 5.00pm) Website: http://www.tfl.gov.uk.


    #23551 Report

    Hi Maria Maria Maria

    Justine the moderator here.  I’ve just read through these threads and I want to confirm that although the information that parents provide on this can be very useful, this community is not an advice forum.  It is there for parents to chat, make connections and share experiences.  Parents can give their opinions and can be a great support to other users.

    You sound like you are looking for specific benefit advice.  Solomummy has been very useful with her signposting, but Ramblinjon has also signposted you to our helpline.  They are trained in giving benefit advice and are a very experienced team of workers.  It will take time to get through but they will be able to work with you through your options.  The helpline number is 0808 802 0925.

    I hope that helps, Justine

    #23559 Report


    Hi dear Solomummy

    You are wonderful

    Thanks a lot

    I did not know about the transportation help …..This would be very useful indeed.

    I understand they disregard war pensions/widows /ers pensions for UC purposes. but what I cannot understand in this country..say  a woman of 58 lost her husband and has not worked for years….do you mean this woman must now go out and find a job????

    I am from China and have married my British husband who was in the RAF….I just do not know the ropes in this country……Is it the system in this 5th richest country in the world or is it this present Tory government policy to penalise the poor and needy??

    I follow the news and I believe I blame the people themselves for voting for this government . I do not believe the Labour would do such a drastic thing.


    Thank you dear Solomummy.

    tell me about Ginger bread…you just put people together and help each other…..that is great……..is there a place where single mothers of any age meet and chat over a cup of coffee.?


    to you and Justine and others.

    My husband did tell me……If he dies…..to take our daughter and return to China….My war widow pension will follow me….She would not want me to raise our daughter alone in this country of rapes and crimes and knives crime and widespread murders every day.

    I am thinking about it.

    God bless  and thanks again.

    #23617 Report


    The simple answer is to be younger than pension age with no disability that yes you’d be expected to work to claim most benefits including UC.

    If in China your daughter would have a better quality of life and opportunities then maybe consider that…..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register