Where Do I Go From Here?

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum Where Do I Go From Here?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • #45003 Report


    My husband left yesterday. I was a single parent before I met him and was quite happy that way. It feels more difficult this time.

    I don’t know who to turn to for help. We live in a very isolated house in the middle of nowhere (rented) and I don’t drive. He left some money for me to get taxi’s or busses but just today getting my daughter to school and back it was £32. The bus times don’t work with school times. It’s not sustainable. I work in the same area that my daughter goes to school and would like to move back there but I don’t have any money, there aren’t any houses available in the area to rent, so I’m stuck.

    We claim joint universal credit, if the claim is changed to just my name, is it expected that I earn a certain amount of money? I don’t think I can pay the rent on my own.

    I’m trying to focus on the logistics of this separation as I’m so confused and shocked at him leaving.


    Thank you



    #45004 Report


    Hello, I’m so sorry you are going through this. I can’t really advise on this, but I would suggest you call the Citizens Advice Bureau. They can help you work out what you are entitled to and how you can ensure your children get to school

    #45006 Report


    Thank you, I will contact them today. I had no idea where to turn!

    #45017 Report


    Hi , I would immediately contact Universal Credits and put claim solely in your name . They will also pay you child tax credits and housing benefit all in one.

    Also make sure as this is separate that you contact your local council as you would get a 25% reduction in council tax as single parent now and also they make be able to help possibly if there is financial hardship. With covid and you having a child u realistically cant work , also if u havent already u could claim an advance possibly which u pay back over 10 or 12 months if you need it. It is very important that u contact universal credits as soon as possible and change your passwords to gain access etc

    #45018 Report

    Gingerbread Alex

    Hello, just to add that you could also call the Gingerbread Single Parent Helpline on 0808 802 0925 to speak to one of our advisers about your situation.

    Best wishes,



    #45019 Report

    Constantly Amazed

    I agree with the posts above – although in my situation I found it annoying (only because my ex was not at all in the situation you are), it amazed me what help you can get and in most cases deserve.

    Speak with UC asap – it may take some hours of your time, calls, filling in forms and a trip or two to the benefits office but it will be worth it in the end. Ok it won’t happen overnight but it should hopefully not take long and you will get the assistance you need.


Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register