Unsure where to start.

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum Unsure where to start.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • #10444 Report


    Me and my husband have been struggling for a while, had many conversations of ‘lets sort this out’ but have been round in circles many times. My husband is the bread winner, pays the bills whilst i am at home with our 2 year old and 5 year old who is at school. I am in my second year of university so my only ‘income’ is a student loan. I wont be able to afford the mortgage so have said i will move into rented property with the children. My husband can afford the mortgage and bills alone so it makes more sense for him to keep the house. Now i do not know where to start? Will i be able to claim any support? I’m currently volunteering to gain experience to apply for jobs in the profession i am studying for next year as i would struggle to get a foot in without experience. Our 2 year old doesnt get free 15 hours until jan next year. Will this change when we seperate? Do i try for a house first and then sort benefits? Cannot believe i am in this position with two small children. Sorry for the rambling

    #10445 Report


    Yes you will get some support you will get:-

    housing benefit

    Single occupancy council tax

    Child benefit

    Maintenance from your ex

    Child tax credits and if you could possibly work part time if/ when  your ex has the children if you work 16 hours working tax credits aswell.


    Also think in some circumstances depending on income you can get the playschool hours from 2 1/2 years old I think.

    #11076 Report


    Hi there,

    I seperated from my ex husband in September and I would say The Citizens Advice Bureau is a good place to start. When it came to financial matters this is where I started.


    Also get some good legal advice, when it comes to the family home. Don’t assume that just because you haven’t been the main bread winner that you aren’t entitled to live in the family home.

    I work part time and have a 2.5 year old son. I ended up staying in the family home since we seperated. I was lucky enough that my part time wage along with child tax credits made it possible for me to cover my outgoings only just. But it has. You will be entitled to child maintenance as soon as you seperate get this sorted ASAP as I didn’t go to the CMS until about 6 months later and payments are not back dated.

    Hope this helps and good luck with it.


    S x

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register