Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum UNIVERSAL CREDIT FRUSTRATION!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
  • #64786 Report


    Can someone…ANYONE please answer my question?

    I’m a single parent who receives Universal Credit.

    I’m actively seeking work however I just want to know the following…

    “Can i just receive a monthly payment of Child Tax Credit without the personal allowance? (Formally known as Income Support)

    No one seems to know and this is not an exaggeration, my work coach didn’t neither did my local Citizen Advice.

    I’m getting very anxious and stressed because no one seems to know?


    Thank you!!

    #64793 Report



    had a quick look on the gov uk site and it states:

    You can only make a claim for Child Tax Credit if you already get Working Tax Credit.

    If you cannot apply for Child Tax Credit, you can apply for Universal Credit instead.

    #64794 Report


    Hi there 🙋🏼‍♀️

    Firstly thank you so much for replying!

    This is my issue… I’m already on Universal Credit.

    It’s made up of a personal allowance and your child tax credit (child tax credit as I’m a single parent).

    I want to know what happens if the job centre sanction my personal allowance how will it effect my child tax credit as at the end of the day my child is still entitled to that money.

    Working taxing credit does not apply to me as I’m not working.





    #64797 Report


    Universal credit is usually made up of personal allowance, child element, housing element.


    they can only sanction personal allowance in specific circumstances

    #64832 Report


    Hi Sara

    Thank you for your reply, ahhh well that’s very good to know 🙂

    My local MP is chasing this up for me too get it in black and white.


Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register