Taking ex to court to remove him from tenancy

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum Taking ex to court to remove him from tenancy

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • #37233 Report


    My abusive ex partner moved out of our social housing property over 2 years ago after he got drunk and assaulted me. The home I live in with our two children is still a joint tenancy with my ex still named on it. I have been pushing for him to remove his name and got so far as getting him to sign an agreement for his name to be removed, and I was sent a form to change tenancy to single tenancy. I naively assumed this meant the tenancy had changed and didnt check. It should have changed in November 2019. I have juat discovered nothing more was done because when he was approached by the housing association to sign legal documents to take his name off tennacy, he refused, claiming he had been bullied into it. He wasn’t. He is refusing to remove his name as a form of control over me. He pays no child maintenance, has minimal contact with the children (they don’t want to see him), and pays nothing towards the rent. He never has. In 15 years. He also rents a property with his new girlfriend. He has a twisted notion that he can still get me out of the house and move him and his girlfriend in. I know I need to take him to court to get him off the tenancy but I have never done anything like this before and don’t know where to start. I have never had a solicitor. I don’t know how I will pay for it. Although I work full time, I have no disposable income. Any advice would be really appreciated. I have no idea where to start and what to expect, but I can no longer live in fear of him or be under his control. Thank you

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register