Starting separation

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum Starting separation

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • #40047 Report



    We’ve just started seperation, hes moved out and I need to claim universal credit – is there anything I need to consider before hand? How can I prove that he has moved out as I assume they’ll need it, hes only been gone a week so this is extremely new to me.


    #40051 Report


    Ive just been through this myself in the new year. First thing you need to do is remove him from the council tax as thats the first stage, trandfer whatever relevant bills into your name, if you have kids ask on the phone about the single parent discount for council tax now that he’s no longer in the property. Once that was done I just went online and made my claim UC claim, filled out the information that was required and that was it really. The forms dead easy to fill out and it keeps you right about what information is needed. If you need help with anything to do with the form just call your local job centre for advice or the UC phone line. If you have kids then you’ll have to provide birth certificates for the kids to the job centre and declare any maintenance he is paying. But it was pretty plain sailing from there. I know this is a difficult time but if you are ever not sure what to do or what your rights are or are just needing a bit of support you can call the gingerbread helpline for single parents or contact your local citizens advice for further support. Hope this helps and stay safe

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register