Single mum, not eligible for legal aid. Please advise.

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum Single mum, not eligible for legal aid. Please advise.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
  • #31466 Report


    Hi everyone

    need help….

    I am  single mum to an amazing 8 year old boy. Hasn’t seen his dad in years. I have now received in the post child contact orders.

    I am not eligible for legal aid. And I am on low income working 16 hours. Currently struggling. I have been in pieces as I am a survivor of domestic violence.

    I don’t know what’s worse, being in a DV relationship or coming out of it. I cannot get any help or support. I have tried Womens aid, gingerbread, solace women’s aid, right 5 women , citizens Advice Bureau… all the door are closing on me.  Thoughts of jumping in front of a train strikes me 😔. Anyone else in this situation? Has anyone represented them self’s? Or when can I go for help.

    #31492 Report


    If he was the perpetrator of the domestic abuse against you you are entitled to legal aid.

    Corams child law advice can give u some advice and there is a phone number on the website you can call. There are lots of resources online about representing yourself too – I cant recommend any from personal experience though I’m afraid

    #31499 Report


    Perhaps this organisation can help?

    ‘Rights of women 020 7251 6577 We are a women’s charity working in a number of ways to help women through the law. Our vital services aim to provide women with the legal advice and information they need to understand and use the law and their legal rights.’


    #31507 Report


    Hello everyone

    many thanks for your replies and links.

    i have not tried rights of women so shall give them a call. And also will be contacting child law rights too🙏🏻.

    I have reported a lot of The abuse to the police and have many crime reference. I also have a lot of evidence of abuse on text messages. Non of these was produced at the court as my solicitor didn’t bother 🤦🏻‍♀️. So I still have these however I have a copy of all the evidence to CAFCASS 😔 not sure if that was the right thing to do.

    I don’t have evidence of him strangling me or any physical abuse and my ex denies it.

    I was acccepted for legal aid when applying for non molestation but now this case is closed. My new solicitor applied for legal aid for the child contact case but was rejected because my circumstances change. My rent decreased by £16 🤷‍♀️ That’s not my fault. And I fall above the mark of £733.29. Which makes me able to afford to pay for a private lawyer.

    I am financially struggling. I am not a alcoholic or takes drugs. Just a hard working mum who works hard and wants the best for her son.

    #31645 Report

    Hi Ruby81

    I’m Justine, one of the moderators here.  Just so you are aware, I will be sending you a private message.

    Kind regards


Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register