Single Mum….. I need help

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum Single Mum….. I need help

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • #54280 Report



    My name is Favor. I am a single parent of a 12 year old girl. I am also a post graduate student in Cardiff

    I just relocated to Wales and i need help. its so overwhelming and i have no family or friends here.

    Are there grants or benefits i  can apply for that can help with child upkeep?

    The father of my child abandoned us when she was 2 years old so its been only me since then. I would really appreciate advice and encouragement


    #54281 Report

    Hi Favor

    I’m Michelle one of the Moderators here.  I’m glad to see you here posting.  In the first instance it might help to get some guidance via the Single Parents Helpline.  Here are the contact details:

    Gingerbread Single Parent Helpline – Freephone 0808 802 0925

    Opening hours:  Mon 10 – 6, Tues 10- 4, Wed 10 – 1 & 5 – 7, Thurs 10 – 4, Fri 10 – 4  They can be busy so callers can expect to wait up to 20 minutes before the call is answered

    There is a single parents group listed in Canton and you can search the group finder via this link to check against your location:

    Single parent groups – Gingerbread

    Some of the information here within the Gingerbread site may also be useful.  I’ll paste a link below to topics that may be relevant:

    Benefits, tax credits and universal credit – Gingerbread

    Turn2us Grants Search – Gingerbread

    I hope that helps a little

    Kind regards




    #54287 Report


    Hi Favor,

    Such a lovely name.

    Is there any way of the father being traced via child support agency and you receiving some financial support from him this way?

    I don’t know how helpful the school is but when the primary school were aware of my single parent status and obvious financial struggles they were quite open about things available (a food voucher post covid and also mentioned a few other small things). I imagine if your daughter is in secondary school they might not be so geared up to help in the same way.

    #54382 Report


    Hi Michelle

    Thanks for the links.

    i checked using the turn2us link but Sadly i was told i do not qualify for any help from the government since i am an international student.

    it appears my child will suffer from that too. please are there any other non government opportunities i can explore?

    I called and i was told the phonelines are completely engaged and referred to the website.


    #54383 Report


    hi Joanna

    thanks for the suggestion. i will get in touch with a child support agency

    i am hoping for the best

    i appreciate your support and reply greatly

    #54388 Report

    Hi Favor

    I’m sorry that you haven’t been able to get though to the Helpline yet. As an International Student you will need specific advice, and the helpline may be able to explore any options for grants with you,  advise you or signpost you to relevant organisations.  The lines can be very busy, but do persist if you can.

    You may also be able to receive guidance via your faculty or the Student Union who will normally have advisors on campus.

    Another service that may be able to give some advice are the Citizens Advice Bureau.  They offer guidance on a variety of issues. Here are their contact details for Wales:

    Citizens Advice Bureau

    Advicelink (Wales): 0800 702 2020

    Kind regards




Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register