Single mom of 3 working full time- Advise needed please?

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum Single mom of 3 working full time- Advise needed please?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
  • #10670 Report


    Hi there,

    I am very new to this site and I am assuming there will be someone out there in the same position as me, or will be able to give me some advise. So here goes..

    Background Info

    I am a single mom of 3 daughters, ages 12, 4 and 10 month old. My youngest was unexpected was on the implant which was due to be change for another 2 years, had just split with OH Oct 16 I receive no maintenance at all. (He wasnt allowed indirect or direct contact due to a highly concerning issues that arose) Ididn’t know I was expecting. When I did find out I booked in for an abortion as the current situation was definitely not  wise to continue. When I went for the abortion I was 22 weeks gone, so they couldn’t do it there, but explained this would be a slightly more invasive abortion that I would need to book and have done before 24 weeks (the only available appointment was a week before me being 24 weeks pregnant, so basically a fully formed healthy baby at that stage) Once they did explain what would happen I could not go through with it so decided to continue with pregnancy.

    I work full time as a recruitment consultant (which I absolutely love my job) I returned to work in January and progressed with another company paying more money and much better hours so that I can spend more time with my children.

    I am currently finding it highly difficult financially. I mean I have a very well paid job, I  do not receive any Tax credits, Council Tax or Housing benefits  However I am struggling to pay for basic essentials including food!

    I am privately renting (due to having to relocate from former personal circumstances)  which is highly expensive around £700! ( I wish I could buy a house, however I do not have enough for a deposit.

    Can anyone tell me if I am entitled to any help financially?

    My salary is 28k P.A would I be entitled to any support at all?


    #10695 Report



    Have you been onto the website and put all your details into a benefits calculator?


    #10702 Report



    It depends on a few other factors, do you have registered childcare for your younger children?  You can use benefit calculators such as which I have found helpful. It may also be worth contacting your local council to see if you are eligible for a discount on your council tax.

    I earn slightly less that you but receive child tax credits and working tax credits (it’s not a lot but helps).

    There is also the Money advice service, they can help you create a budget.

    Hope this helps!

    #10720 Report


    Thank you all for your advise. I have a registered childminder and yes I’m going to have a look at the gov sight this evening. I agree yes he should pay. I’m going to speak with my solicitor about that too.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register