Single dad living with parents selling home and unable to afford a place

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum Single dad living with parents selling home and unable to afford a place

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
  • #25334 Report


    Hi everyone 👋

    I’m a single dad with a 3 year old son who I currently look after 2 days a week at my parents house. This may be going up to 3 days though due to the his mum having to care for her dad more often.

    My partner left me and moved out of our flat 2 years ago and I’ve been living with my parents since, while trying to clear some debt and move out into my own place.

    I am still in quite a lot of debt due to self employment but have since found a new job.

    My parents have decided to sell up and downsize so I have to move out but I cannot afford to pay rent, bills, child support, and the debt back.

    Has anyone been in a similar situation and have you recieved any help with rent etc? Any help would be appreciated

    #25336 Report



    Have you used a benefits calculator to see what you could get? Also a debt management company might be able to support you.


    Hope that helps

    #25338 Report


    In the short term you could ask your ex if you could see your son at her place ( depends on domestic situation). My ex did that for a bit and it wasn’t a problem.

    If your parents are selling up, will they help you with a deposit? You don’t need a two bed flat to be able to have your son. He’s still very young so you could have a 1 bed flat and he could share with you or sleep on an air bed.

    If you have your son three nights, your maintenance payment will go down, so that should help a bit too.

    #25339 Report


    Can you get a second job on your free evenings, just until you’ve cleared the debt?

    #25340 Report



    It sounds like you’re in a pretty stressful situation. Have you sought any advice about your finances?

    I can’t imagine any of the options available to you would be suitable for overnight stays with your child, house share, etc .

    As stated above you would be entitled to something in terms of benefits but they would be restricted because you do not have your child full time. Still worth checking it out though.

    I hope you manage to sort things out.


Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register