Separating, what to do first?

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum Separating, what to do first?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
  • #19661 Report


    I can’t live with my husband any more I’m miserable and I can see how it’s bringing the kids down. I’m scared and don’t know what to do first, I know I need legal advice ideally I’d like him to leave and for me to stay In the house until youngest is 18 he’s 9 now. I inherited some money last year and bought the house outright he would only agree to it being a 70/30 split in my favour. He is disabled he works full time at the moment but not sure how much longer he will be able to. This weekend has been hard knowing I want to end it but not saying anything. I feel sick. What practical things can I do?

    #19664 Report


    You are entitled to 30 mins free advice from a solicitor.  Is there somewhere he can go? Do you already receive any help from social services?

    #19669 Report


    Do you have a joint bank account or shared credit card? If so, open your own. If you have shared car insurance, look at cost of your own.

    collect together relevant paperwork. Marriage docs, bank statements showing over time how bills were paid. ISA details, anything that shows who is primary carer etc.

    Definitely talk through the options with a solicitor

    #19673 Report

    Hi, Justine from gingerbread here.  Its good to see the support and advice being offered here.  Don’t forget that Gingerbread has a helpline that is open Monday to Fridays.  It can get pretty busy as I’m sure you can imagine, but the longest waiting time is about 20 minutes.  (probably best have a cup of tea whilst waiting).  The team of advisers are knowledgeable and experienced so why not give them a try.

    Single Parent Helpline 0808 802 0925

    Mon 10 – 6, Tues 10- 4, Wed 10 – 1 & 5 – 7, Thurs 10 – 4, Fri 10 – 4

    Good luck

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register