My husband and I are separating and I’m looking for some advice on next steps. We have a 22 month old son.
We currently rent privately and it’s not somewhere either of us could afford on our own. He plans to find another private rent, our son will primarily live with me. I work 32 hours a week and my mum looks after my son but my wages would no where near cover what we’d need to stay where we are. Our landlords don’t accept DSS.
I have a friend who has offered a room for me and my son until we can get together a deposit and find our own place (they own the property, and don’t want rent).
Ultimately, I will need to claim Universal Credit to enable me to afford a place for me and my son but I am not sure at what point to claim. My husband is still living in the same house at the moment, but as soon as he leaves (and he is in process of finding somewhere very shortly) I won’t be able to afford to live here and he won’t be able to afford to help so I will have to give notice (30 days). We don’t have any savings to fall back on.
Will temporarily lodging with a friend affect my claim? If I claim in my current rental will the landlords turf us out for being DSS or could I set claim in motion as soon as husband leaves and look for a more manageable property to rent. Can I go on the council house waiting list?
I’m properly at a loss of what is the best way to approach things, so any advice would be really appreciated.