Self employed

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum Self employed

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • #57581 Report


    Hi there, I’m new here so I hope this isn’t a repeated question.

    I’m currently working part time to fit in with school hours, but I am not very happy in my job. I am considering becoming self employed instead. I am just worried about income! Can anyone advise how this might affect my tax credits/ housing benefit etc please?

    #57614 Report



    I think your best bet is to contact the advisors on Gingerbread as they will have people who are knowledgeable about benefits.

    You should also check if making that change may mean you will get a letter saying you now need to claim Universal Credit as there are certain circumstances that mean someone will have to claim Universal Credit.

    So my advise is call Gingerbread and ask them as I said initially as you may be worse off on UC (if you do have to claim it following a change of circumstances) or better off staying on your tax credits.

    I hope it works out 🙂

    #57636 Report


    Hi thank you- I think you’re right the UC issue is the one I think I’m most worried about!

    I’ll try the advisors

    Thank you for replying x

    #57640 Report

    Hi Timefortea, as a previous poster recommends, I suggest you call our single parent helpline who may be able to advise you. It may take a little while to get through so please be patient.  Here are their details:

    • Gingerbread Single Parent Helpline – Freephone 0808 802 0925

    Opening hours:  Mon 10 – 6, Tues 10- 4, Wed 10 – 1 & 5 – 7, Thurs 10 – 4, Fri 10 – 4  They can be busy so callers can expect to wait up to 20 minutes before the call is answered

    I hope this information is useful and I wish you the best of luck for the future.


    #57641 Report

    Sorry Mooominmama not Timefortea!

    #57653 Report


    Thank you! Yes I will do that

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register