Newly single and a financial crisis on the way.

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum Newly single and a financial crisis on the way.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Sherry123 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • #32326 Report


    I am very recently single due to my partner of 15  years being an alcoholic. It has been a long time coming and is a bit of a relief now that it’s over. Myself and my two kids are still upset because it is so recent but we are much calmer without him here. He hasn’t been around much lately anyway due to him just wanting to stay out drinking constantly.

    My problem now is that I received child tax credits and that when I called to claim as a single person the claim was cancelled and I’ve been told to apply for universal credit. If I can’t send my younger child to nursery then I can’t work and even though I’m off sick with stress at the moment I will need to return at some point.

    I am really panicking about this now and was wondering if anyone else has been through similar? How long does the universal credit process take?

    #32328 Report


    Thanks I have applied online and have an appointment but it all seems so confusing. I’m lucky I have family to help me and my parents have offered for me to come home which I’m seriously considering but they live far away and it would mean quitting my job and kids changing school/nursery. It’s just all so daunting.

    #32330 Report


    Hi hope you and your children are ok xx I have recently gone through the exact same thing as yourself. I also was on child tax credits but when I had to move out of the family home I phoned to let them know. They cancelled my claim the same day. It was horrendous as I had just moved into a property with my children and my husband wasn’t supporting us financially. I waited over 6 weeks till they sorted my claim out and it wasn’t backdated 😔 I had to borrow money off family and friends, which I’m still paying off. The system is so wrong because I like yourself, have been put in a horrible situation through no fault of my own. When I finally got an appointment with UC they gave me an advanced payment so I could pay my rent, which you pay off throughout the year.

    I really do feel for you as I’ve been there and  it’s a horrible situation to be in 😔 it’s bad enough going through this with your children, so the last thing you need to worry about is finances. Good luck and I hope you get sorted soon 🙏 xxx

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register