Newly seperated and need advice please

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum Newly seperated and need advice please

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • #37209 Report


    Hi I need some help ? My husband has left me with 3 kiddies 13/6/4

    I work 4 days a week. I can’t afford to work now childcare is crippling and has recently gone up again. He’s not contributing financially. I haven’t told tax credits as yet I don’t know where I go from here. I’m thinking of resigning and going back to work when my youngest starts school in September? How would that work if I claimed ? I believe as it’s a change in circumstances I would have to apply for universal credit ?

    Would I be sanctioned as I’m leaving my job for childcare reasons ?

    Please could help me?



    #37310 Report



    The rules around UC are constantly changing so I would give the gingerbread helpline a ring, they are trained to deal with issues such as yours. You can the number below under contact us.

    All the best


    #37316 Report


    Hi Rooroo 87,

    I hope you’re doing well and got some hopeful advice.

    As far as my understanding of UC goes, you can get upto 85% of your childcare costs covered upto a maximum of £1108.04 for 2 or more children. Also, as all your children are over 2 yrs of age, UC will expect you to work even on a part time basis. Is there any chance for your employer to do that for you? Also, your 4 yr old would be entitled to 30 hrs free childcare so UC might put all this into consideration as well.

    Good luck and fill us in please.

    I just became a single mum 2 months ago after leaving an abusive relationship. I have a 9 month old and I’m trying to figure out what to do about work as well. I’m due back in May.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register