New single mother

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum New single mother

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • #34701 Report


    Hi everyone. I recently found out that my husband has been having an affair for a year and he now wants a divorce. I am so scared about what my life will be like now…I have 2 little girls and they adore their father. He has told me to leave the family home (where I lived with his mother and brother) and look for a place elsewhere. Need advice…has anyone applied as homeless, and if so, what are my chances of me finding a place? I am also unemployed.

    #34704 Report


    Hi Strawberry, It sounds nightmarish. Where are you, in the UK?

    Who owns the house or is on the lease? If it is your husband’s house, it is also yours and he cannot demand that you leave.  You need legal advice before you do anything. Solicitor, Citizen’s Advice or WomenAid

    If the house is your mil’s then call the council housing office on Thursday morning. Explain that you and the children are being made homeless immediately. Look at the govt benefit calculator on-line.

    Do you have someone in RL to provide moral support?

    #34706 Report


    Hi Strawberry. I’m so sorry to read about your ex’s infidelity, why anyone would be so cruel is beyond me.

    Each council has it’s own rules but I’m fairly sure that if you have your children then the council has a duty of care for you so they will put you in emergency accommodation until they find you somewhere permanent.

    It would be worth phoning the gingerbread helpline which you can find under contact us below.

    It might also be worth phoning these people:

    Shelter 0808 800 4444

    My personal advice is whatever you do make sure you have your children with you even if you have to sneak them away otherwise the council will not have duty of care.

    Good luck


    #34744 Report



    Just a quick word – please do not leave the children under his care or his family care. It may be easier for him to get custody and more difficult for you to have your daughters living with you. Stay positive for your kids, look for women’s aid refuge in your area. One day at a time. I am keeping you in my preyers

    #34763 Report

    Hi Strawberry86

    I’m sorry you are having such a tough time but am glad to see our forum users giving you support.  You can always call one of our helpline advisers.  They will be able to help you to explore your options.  You could also have a look at our webpage on ‘separating’ and hopefully this will have some useful information for you.

    Hope this helps, Justine

    #34796 Report


    Hi Strawberry

    I’m so sorry to hear your news. I too have just found my husband has been having an affair and now wants a divorce. I’m panicking too as to what the future holds for me and my son. I’m working part time, but it’s not a permanent job. I’m just taking one day at a time at the moment. I wish you all the best and hope you get the advice you need. Hear for a chat if you need it x

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register