Need advice on financial help as STRUGGLING to put if mildly….

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum Need advice on financial help as STRUGGLING to put if mildly….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
  • #6847 Report

    I’m reaching out in the hope to get some guidance.  I am a single mum with two children 12 years and 13 years of age. I was made redundant from my job in October. Small amount of redundancy now nearly all gone.

    I set up as self employed and working hard to grow the business, however, very little income at the moment.

    I get a small amount of child tax credits only as they work it out based on previous years earnings. So am I correct in that I will struggle for 12 months on next to nothing.  I also have a mortgage and no way of paying it.  Am I entitled to help and if so where do I turn?  I am so lost.

    I have always worked full time and had the security of an income.  Now I have nothing I am starting to PANIC.

    I hope some of you lovely people out there have gone some advice of who I should contact.  THANK YOU

    #6876 Report


    Hi Debbie

    Ring the gingerbread helpline, CAB or working families.

    I have rang up two of the above and they are really helpful.

    CAB are will versed in benefit issues.

    #6882 Report

    Thank you, I will give them all a go.  Did try ringing CAB but struggled to get any pick up.  So emailed, did get lots of links emailed back to me and been trawling through them, but feel really lost with it all.  I prefer a voice to talk to but not always the way these days. Wish me luck! 🙂

    #6913 Report


    If you are self employed and not earning much profit, you can ask tax credits to review based on your current income being below last years income. This is a really good website to check your entitlements:


    #6930 Report


    Hi Debbie

    Thanks for sharing your story on the forum. It sounds like a really tough time with your finances. As other users have said, you can ring the Gingerbread helpline and speak to the advisers who can go through your entitlements with you.

    January can be very busy on the helpline so it’s worth trying at different times of the day. Call free on 0808 802 0925.

    Take care


    #6939 Report


    Not sure I am allowed to punish this petition

    Can you help me out by signing this petition?

    #6941 Report

    Thank you so much for sharing with me.  This helps me feel like I am not so isolated and I will definitely be looking at this.  Will update you on how I get on.  I apologise if it takes me a while as I am so busy juggling everything.  But really appreciate all your help. x

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register