Mortgage help!

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum Mortgage help!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • #34890 Report


    Hi everyone,

    Me and my ex husband have a joint mortgage on a house. We have owned the house for 2 years and have a 5 year fixed term mortgage. We split in early 2019 and are now Divorced. I have been paying the mortgage on my own since we split.

    How do I get his name off the mortgage? How do I work out how much money I will need to give him? Who do I contact for help?

    Any advice would be much appreciated.


    #34898 Report


    I’ve not been through the divorce process yet but I thought you needed a consent order which decides on the finances before you could finalise your divorce.

    If you want the house and mortgage in your name you are going to need to come to some kind of agreement and it is best to include all your assets when thinking about this as you may be able to keep a larger share of the house in exchange for something else like a pension (or vice versa). You are going to have to transfer the house into your name by applying to the Land Registry and probably apply for a new mortgage in your name only but it would be worth checking with your current mortgage provider as they may be able to do this without the need to apply for a new mortgage.

    This can all be done without a solicitor if you are confident with reading legal agreements but using a solicitor makes things much easier.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register