Joint ownership issues

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum Joint ownership issues

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
  • #9144 Report


    Hi all

    I’m wondering if anyone has had any success with getting a partner to leave a jointly owned property so the children can continue living in the same place.

    My children’s dad refuses to leave which is forcing me to go into a rental property with the children . I could cover the mortgage and bills etc for the same money as a rent alone.

    We have approx 50% of mortgage left to pay (so own 25% each of house outright) . I’m not currently working but have savings that would sustain and I for a year or more. I would then work and buy him out.

    Hope someone can help.


    #9288 Report



    have you had any advice from a solicitor? I know it’s expensive but some solicitors offer a free initial consultation.

    I think a family court would  frown on the children having to leave their home because of their father’s refusal to leave as he should be the one leaving. Unfortunately, if he is really digging his heels in then court would probably be the only way to go.


    #9330 Report


    Do not contact solicitors.  Try and see if you can free advice.  As soon as the lawyers find out you own property then they become greedy.

    I was able to buy the home office my ex  husband.  It wasn’t easy as I reduced my hours after having my daughter .  My ex is not her father but wanted us out . The judge wouldn’t entertain the rubbish his legal team was suggesting so I could stay but as.soon as my daughter turns 5 years old I would have to give him the rest of his money. He hid most of his money and although I have a child the judge ruled in his favour in the end so be very careful that you don’t lose out. It is not that straightforward and our court case cost £50k .

    #9331 Report


    Sherima is absolutely right. Here’s some links that might help:

    Support with any parenting problem: Family Lives 9am-9pm weekdays, 10am-3pm weekends FREE helpline 0808 800 2222

    Can you get legal aid?

    Publicly funded legal advice and/or representation:

    Advice re: arrangements for children, mediation, going to court

    Separation disputes:

    Going to court without a lawyer: Personal Support Unit

    Representing yourself in court:


    Publicly funded mediation:

    All the best.

    #9352 Report


    Do not leave your home because if you decide that renting is too expensive which it is you might not be able to get back in to the house in case your husband changes the locks.

    Do not go to solicitors as you will be left with nothing.  I work part time andpay  the mortgage and bills.  It is not easy but I am fortunate  that I do not have to rent.



Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register