Income support help..

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum Income support help..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • #7160 Report



    I’m new to claiming benefits as I have always worked since my maternity leave ended.. my son is 4 now and I’m thinking of leaving my job as I’m now starting to struggle with childcare, I’m unsure  if I would get income support straight away if I voluntarily leave.. please help as I really don’t know what to do.. 😩🙈

    thank you in advance



    #7161 Report


    Hi Sarah

    Below is a post I did for someone else…JSA, Income support be the same most likely

    ”I had to leave my long term employment as I did not have childcare provision and it is regarded as a good reason to leave and they are unlikely to impose sanctions.  Saying that it is best to try to talk to your employer first to try to get flexible working that allows you to work around your childcare provision….you may have to submit a Statutory Flexible Working Request.

    The benefits office will look at the reason why you left and if you can show that you did try to change hours to accommodate the care and your work rejected that it will be a very strong argument as why you left. You may even get income support as oppose to JSA as your child is under five.

    You can ring up the gingerbread helpline or working families organisation to clarify this to you”

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register