I need help, relationship breakdown

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum I need help, relationship breakdown

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • #38123 Report



    im currently in the process of separating from my partner. We have a son who is one year old.

    we live together in Wakefield, West Yorkshire but I need to move down to my family are in Hereford.

    there isn’t enough room for me to stay with my parents unfortunately.

    I really don’t know what to do. I’ve applied for council housing but I’m on a 12 month waiting list.
    Can I apply for private rent and will universal credit pay my rent?

    im in a lot of stress here and I have no money, i just need some advice on what to do please. Has anyone been through this? I’m struggling, I just want what’s best for my son.

    thank you

    #38183 Report


    Hi Kiera

    I’m pretty sure they do pay private rent, as when I had to stop working for a while, it covered my rent, and I was in a private let.

    That may differ from council to council, and I couldn’t be sure as to whether it makes any difference as to being in the property all ready, or looking for one. But I can’t see it personally.

    It would help to ring the relevant council that covers your parents area, and the job centre and tell them your sitiation, and your hopeful plans and they should point you in the direction.

    As far as I’m aware, I think the only drawback of getting a private let is, it would put you back getting a council house, but as you’d all ready have one, it wouldn’t be so much of an issue.

    Hope that helps a bit.


Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register