I can’t get benefits can anyone help

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum I can’t get benefits can anyone help

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
  • #63716 Report


    Hi my partnwr left me and our 2yr old son last month. We have a mortgage together, i work part time and a uni student. Hear back from uc today and told i can get no help. Surely there must be some help i can get? This is the last straw, i dont know how i will cope.

    #63722 Report


    Hello Ali,

    If you applied for UC you should have gotten a written statement about the reasons why UC does not apply to you. My advice would be to take that to your nearest citizen advice bureau and see what they say. In any case apply if you didn’t because UC is not backpaid.


    #63738 Report


    Hi Alipen1234, Have a look at this information on our website about additional funding options for single parents who are students. Money for higher education students – Gingerbread.

    Best regards, Helen

    #63774 Report


    Sirtobi and gingerbread Helen, i did apply, thanks i will look at the advice on website and seek C. A. B. Advice

    #63897 Report



    Do you claim Child Benefit for your son? If your ex is still claiming it, that might be why you can’t get UC. The first step is contacting Child Benefit, get that sorted first then claim UC.  When UC is up and running don’t forget that you can claim 85% of child care costs back when your working, not sure of the deal when you are at Uni.

    Good luck.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register