How to rent a new flat whilst on housing benefits

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum How to rent a new flat whilst on housing benefits

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
  • #8563 Report


    I am a single mum of a 4month old girl and a 3 year old boy. Our current landlord wants to serve us notice because they don’t want to renew the tenancy agreement as I am applying for housing benefits.


    This means we have to find a new place. I will receive housing benefits for my current flat until we get an eviction letter. But I would like to move before this happens if possible.


    How do I go about renting privately? Do I just ask the estate agent if they have landlords that accept housing benefits and once I have moved I let housing benefits know that my address has changed?


    Thank you so much! I am loosing my mind! 😉

    #8564 Report


    Also, would I make myself intentionally homeless if I don’t wait for an eviction letter from my current landlord?

    #8592 Report


    I’d contact your local councils housing advice team for some assistance. They may even be able to speak to your current landlord & see if they can change their mind as it shouldn’t really matter if you’re on benefits as long as the rent us paid & you look after the place. If you don’t want to stay or the landlord wants you out they may know other local landlords that do accept Housing Benefit & go through all options with you should you get the eviction notice.

    Hope you get sorted x

    #9135 Report

    1.  You don’t need to declare you’re on housing benefit. There is an option on the form to not inform landlord. I think it’s there to stop landlords turning their nose up.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register