Housing benefit

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum Housing benefit

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • #49155 Report


    Hiya looking for some advice.

    I am in my 3rd year of my teaching degree, and have 5 school aged children (single parent). My local council have stopped my housing benefit due to my student loan. I’ve no idea why as all my paperwork was sent off and as far as I knew lone parents at uni could still get help with their rent. It even states that on benefit websites. Has anyone else been in the same boat? I do work but no way can I cover bills, rent and all the other daily living costs while studying. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much

    #49157 Report


    From what I understand of it. Your student loans and grants are taken into account as income. So the loans and grants you receive will be added to your wages and that will be your total wage, so your benefits will reduced

    hope this helps

    #49158 Report


    Thank you, it has been completely stopped. My student money and my wages are around 17,000 a year. I’m just so confused as to why the whole lot has been stopped. I’ve just had another look on the citizens advice website and even on there it’s showing as lone parents are still entitled to help with rent. Ohhh man I’ve had so much trouble with my local council since ive been studying.  They sent me a court summons over council tax payment, even though all the paperwork had been submitted. When it all worked out they admitted my emails with all the paperwork attached had not been actioned.  Thanks for your help x

    #49256 Report


    I’m Michelle one of the moderators here in the forum.  There are some info pages here in the Gingerbread site that may be helpful.  I’ve added a link here and also a link to our information on studying and benefits:

    Information – Gingerbread

    Benefits and tax credits while you’re studying – Gingerbread

    You could also give the Gingerbread Single Parents helpline a call for further guidance or signposting to organisations that might be able to help you move forwards:

    Gingerbread Single Parent Helpline – Freephone 0808 802 0925

    Opening hours:  Mon 10 – 6, Tues 10- 4, Wed 10 – 1 & 5 – 7, Thurs 10 – 4, Fri 10 – 4  They can be busy so callers can expect to wait up to 20 minutes before the call is answered

    Hope that helps.

    Kind regards



    #49261 Report

    Liane 245

    When I was a full time student I was having to pay full rent.

    The only variation was open university courses which are home study based.

    I ended up with a part time job. The council tax relief was nice.

    #49298 Report


    I’m a Money Adviser for a charity and you may well find that you have to pay something towards your rent as your student loan will count as income.

    The best thing to do is check your own benefit entitlement. A really good free online calculator for this is http://www.entitledto.co.uk

    Hope that helps.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register