Help when children leave education

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum Help when children leave education

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • #40089 Report


    I’m a single mum of twins who turned 18 this year. I am scared we will be homeless as my child tax credit , maintenance and house benefit will stop in August.  I work 30 hrs a week in a police civilian role but my wages will only just cover my Rent of £1000 a month and council tax.  My daughter is hopefully going to Uni and my son does not know his plans but hopes to get a job. Do I just give up our home and sofa surf.  I’m so scared of the future and not being able to provide a home for myself and son and my daughter when she comes home from uni.

    #40114 Report

    Hi Patsandeds

    Thanks for posting here.  You can always talk to one of our helpline advisers and they should be able to explore your options.  Here are their contact details:

    • Gingerbread Single Parent Helpline – Freephone 0808 802 0925

    Opening hours:  Mon 10 – 6, Tues 10- 4, Wed 10 – 1 & 5 – 7, Thurs 10 – 4, Fri 10 – 4  They can be busy so callers can expect to wait up to 20 minutes before the call is answered.

    Kind regards, Justine


    #40129 Report


    Hi Pats,

    Can you increase your hours? Take a second job?  And if your son is working, he needs to contribute to rent and food.

    Don’t give up your home. You have a different life to live now they are growing up and this is just the transition. Look at benefits and what you can do to supplement your income. You’ll be fine. x

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register