from working to a New benefit claim

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum from working to a New benefit claim

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • #21797 Report


    Hello All,

    I am wondering I you guys could help me, I am due to have a change in my work life. I am going from a high paying job to where I am never at home to a job where I can spend more time with my son. But will be much much much less. I realised I spend a fortune on child care as I am not entitled to anything I am just never around and he is now 7. I am a single mum and needs me.

    I will be moving onto a 30 hour contract with a minimum wage. And I was wondering what benefits I will be entitled to and also how do I even go about claiming them and when can I claim them? I am all new to this never having to in the past, I am hoping after working 23 years that I can get some assistance. If anyone knows how I can go from working to claiming benefits that would be a great help

    #21798 Report


    Hi Rachael

    I’m currently working 25 hours a week and have a 12 year old son. Currently I don’t claim help for childcare as I save up the money myself. But if you need regular childcare you will get up to 70% of that paid.

    With working and added benefits (child benefit, working tax credit, housing benefit)  I get around £340 a week. I get very little help toward council tax so where I’m from it cost £69 a month.

    I hope all this helps. Best people to call is HM revenue and get whatever you can. They can’t tell you how much to expect before you make that change. You have to take the plunge and hope for the best but I’m sure you will be fine.

    I advise against claiming universal credit.

    Good luck – Sue

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register