Financial help available for singe parent students

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum Financial help available for singe parent students

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • #52272 Report



    I’m currently going through separation (not married) and have a 2 year old daughter with my (ex) partner. I really want to go to university to study an Occupational Therapy undergraduate course so I can better myself and be a good example to my daughter in the future, however because this will be my second undergraduate degree I have no idea if I will be able to manage it financially. I did initially look at a pre-reg OT masters as I could get a loan for that but the closest uni to me offering that degree is still too far away to make it work with childcare etc.

    Does anyone have any advice as to what loans / grants are available to single parent students? I’ve looked on the net but I just get so confused by it. I really want to make this work. The course is in Wales so tuition fees are covered by the government so long as you work in Wales for at least 2 years post graduation. It’s just the living costs I’m really concerned by.

    I’d really value any advice you can offer.

    #52274 Report

    Hi Clare 33

    I’m Michelle one of the Moderators here. Great to see you posting in the forum.  You may find some of the information pages within the Gingerbread Site helpful.  Here’s a link to some info on studying:

    Education – Gingerbread

    There are lots of  Members who are studying, so it’s also worth doing a search through the threads to learn about their experiences.

    Hope that helps a bit

    Kind regards



Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register