Financial hardship. Single Parent to a boy with cerebral palsy and epilepsy

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum Financial hardship. Single Parent to a boy with cerebral palsy and epilepsy

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • #42240 Report


    Advice please!

    I’ve posted on here before in regards to financial difficulties so I apologise in advance for sounding like a broken record.


    I am a single parent to a 5 year old boy who has cerebral palsy and epilepsy – we have been living in Australia for the last 15 years but I was born here so I decided to move back here to have more support with my son and be with family.


    The only benefits I am entitled to is UC at the moment, however it’s not enough to see us through the month – I rent a property, pay bills and now car insurance which is a lot because I’m not employed!


    I have recently applied for DLA but because haven’t been here for two years they have denied our benefits (which I completely understand) I have tried appealing but it still has been knocked back.


    I have had a social worker dealing with our case but there is only so much they can help with, they have now closed our case because they have met our needs apparently.


    I have been in contact with the local welfare team and they can only offer a £30 card a month and you can only apply twice.


    I have been to citizens advice, they have advised I’m doing as much as I possibly can in regards to benefits.


    I feel like I’m failing at being a carer for my son because we are living week by week – I’m at the stage where I will need to cancel my car insurance and sell the car which I don’t want to do at all because my son won’t go on public transport.


    Any advice would be great! Thank you in advance.

    #42242 Report


    Hi there sorry to hear about your difficulties but where are you living? Have you tried contacting your local MP?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register