Daughter needs help

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum Daughter needs help

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • #17663 Report


    My daughter is leaving her abusive partner with whom she had had 3 children, all under 2 years old.  We want to her to rent from a private landlord (near where we live) as the local authority has no spare accommodation at the moment. Many of the letting agents round where we live say ‘No Housing Benefit Recipients’ etc etc so my question is this: If I take a tenancy out in my name and make it clear that my daughter and her children will be living there would the housing benefit still get paid to her (so my daughter can then pay it over to me)? Or, would the benefits people refuse on the grounds that as I rent the house my daughter is not entitled to the benefit?

    Please let me have your thoughts. Thanks.


    #17666 Report


    If this is a letting with a private landlord through the letting agency, I think that you have to provide a copy of your agreement/lease.

    The lease will be in your name not your daughter’s. I don’t believe that she’d be able to claim unless you are acting as a guarantor. Then if she doesn’t pay, they come after you for payment

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register