Confused with council house

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum Confused with council house

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • #56663 Report


    Hi Everyone at the moment i am living in council flat waiting for my assessment. If I ask UC to help me paying my rent is that means housing benefit from council will be stop?

    Which one should I be with?

    I am single mother with one child under 1yo.

    Please advice 🙏

    #56668 Report


    Hi, I moved from Housing Benefit to UC.
    my rent was £1000 (private) For myself & 3 children. I was unemployed at the time so also getting job seekers every 2 weeks.
    I moved to UC, they also covered the rent, a payment for me and an amount for the children. I was much better off on UC.
    Real pluses are that you can work no, a few hours or 40 hours a week and if you earn over a certain amount ( currently £280 but it will reduce back down) they reduce your UC by 65p in the pound on what you earn over that. On benefits if you work then you have to sign off then sign back on, on UC it continues regardless.
    pitfall when you change over is that benefits are paid in advance, UC is paid in arrears. When you make the changeover you can take an advance of up to a full months UC, in my case I took the whole amount and paid it back over 12 months ( they just reduce your UC payment by that amount each month.
    another huge benefit for me was that if you have any childcare costs because you are working you can claim 85% of it back.
    When I moved from a private rental to a council ( housing association) house my rent went down by £450, they then reduced the UC to what I was now paying.
    I know UC gets a lot of bad press but other than a couple of blips it has been great for me.
    You must follow the rules and access the website regularly though.
    You can find various calculators online that will tell you if you will be better or worse off.
    Important to note that if you get any maintenance either direct or via CMS it is not included in their calculations, so it will not affect what UC you are paid. Same with a child benefit, you have to be getting it for any children you want to claim for.
    It is designed to get you back to work but if your child is under 4 they pretty much leave you alone so I have been told.
    Good luck, all I can say is it worked for me and still does even though I am now working full time. So in a short answer to your question as you are in a council house it should definitely cover it.

    #56726 Report

    Hi there

    Don’t forget that you can always contact our single parent helpline.  The advisers will be able to give accurate and specific advice based on your  own situation.  Please do bear in mind that you may have to wait a little while before they answer the call.  Here are their details:

    ·       Gingerbread Single Parent Helpline – Freephone 0808 802 0925

    Opening hours:  Mon 10 – 6, Tues 10- 4, Wed 10 – 1 & 5 – 7, Thurs 10 – 4, Fri 10 – 4  They can be busy so callers can expect to wait up to 20 minutes before the call is answered

    Wish you well, Justine

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register