Confused about studying and universal credits. HELP!

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum Confused about studying and universal credits. HELP!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • #42865 Report


    Hi everyone.
    I’m new to this so bare with me haha.
    So I am a single mum for two children ages 8 & 5.
    I currently work part time as a beauty therapist. However I am really wanting to better myself and get the career I’ve always wanted, which is nursing.
    I currently receive universal credit to help too up my wage, but from things I am reading you do not get any help if studying. I understand if it’s at uni you apply for student loans and grants to help with child care and living costs etc but what happens when it’s at a college? As, I first have to do an access course for 1 year before applying for uni. This course is classed as full time but is only 2 1/2 days per week.
    I do plan to keep my part time job while doing the course, but if it affects my universal credits I would not be able to do it.
    move tried ringing citizen advice and reading things online but I think I am a little confused by what’s what.
    If anyone is aware or what’s happens or has done this themselves please could you share it with me?
    All I want to do is better myself to get a job with more money and in the long run buy my own house, but feeling like it’s a little hard at the moment.

    Thanks in advance 🙂


    #42877 Report


    Hi – Here is a link to some information on funding in further education from the Gingerbread website.  You can also ring our helpline  for advice on benefits whilst studying on 0808 802 0925

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register