Children's father goes self employed & adds wife to the business

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum Children's father goes self employed & adds wife to the business

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Traveller123 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • #21147 Report


    My children’s dad has gone self employed. He is claiming minimum wage and being paid dividends to top his salary up which I can inform Child Maintenance. However he has registered his wife as a Secretary (who is actually employed elsewhere), and he is claiming another wage through her name. Can he be made to declare this through child maintenance?

    #21149 Report


    That’s perfectly legal. Her salary doesn’t get taken in to consideration. It’s an approach used by many non resident parents to reduce maintenance.

    #21228 Report


    If it could be established that what your ex pays his new wife is high in relation to what work she actually does there may be an argument for a Variation on the grounds of diversion of income.  How you would be able to collect such information I don’t know as accounts information held at Companies House are often micro accounts that are balance sheets for small companies.

    If you apply for a Variation you would be responsible for providing some evidence.  Tribunals can dig deeper compared to CMS so might be able to extract more information.  However, a word of warning – a good accountant will be able to optimize your Ex’s company expenses and may even be able to include some items that are for personal use too.  Cars, mobile phone, laptops and so on.


Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register