Child tax credits to universal credit

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum Child tax credits to universal credit

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
  • #59967 Report


    Hi. My husband and I have separated so I can no longer claim couples child tax credits. I’m a bit worried about what to do. Do I tell the child tax credit people my change in circumstances then apply for universal credit or just apply for universal credit?

    #59994 Report


    Hi Peanuts8,

    I’m one of the moderators here on the forum. I’m sure it won’t be long before you connect with other parents. Meanwhile, you may like to call our helpline to talk this through:

    Gingerbread Single Parent Helpline- Freephone 08088020925

    Opening hours: Mon 10 to 6, Tues 10-4, Weds 10 to 1 and 5 to 7, Thurs 10 to 4, Fri, 10 to 4. They can be busy some callers can expect to wait up to 20 minutes before the call is answered.

    best wishes and welcome to the forum,




    #60096 Report


    My child has no father and I have zero so best don’t touch to much US

    #60099 Report


    As far as I am aware if you just need the tax credits you let them know the change in circumstance, ie, relationship breakdown and your time bound to let them know and have to let them know within a month.  



    If you need to apply for universal credit as a seperate entity tax credits becomes null and void so you will no longer be eligible for it if you are eligible for universal credits as either a whole income or supplementary income to working. As you can’t claim tax credits and universal credits at same time.


    Turn 2 is have a good benefits calculator   it helped me when ex hubby left as I’d never claimed figuring out exactly what to work on a single low income with a little one to raise on my own and may give you an idea of what option will make you better off in the long run.


Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register