Can I apply for universal credit if he is still in the house .

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum Can I apply for universal credit if he is still in the house .

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
  • #45842 Report


    Me and my ex partner have recently separated. I want to try and take over the mortgage and bills in order for less disruption for our 6yr old. Can I apply for universal credit whilst he is still in the home.

    This is all new to me ,I do not have a clue where to start,plus the emotional strain of it all.

    #45892 Report


    I believe you can, but not 100% sure. If you have Facebook then join a group called Universal Credit Essentials. The ladies that run the group have a wealth of knowledge and I highly recommend asking them. They will tell you everything you need to know.

    #45893 Report


    I would put a claim in for universal credit  anyway if you split up and also u would need to phone up your local council tax office to claim council tax support

    as well as 25% single persons discount.

    #45895 Report



    I had the same dilemma a few months ago but applied anyway- just go on to GOV website and start your application. Be very honest about any savings , bills , rent or mortgage etc.

    I work part time on a fairly low wage, and I actually received some money last month even when I did some overtime! So YES you will get some help even though you are living together. I did state that my now  ex had moved into the spare room so we are not sharing a room anymore as I think this makes a difference. Lucky we have a spare room.

    good luck- it’s difficult living together still, and going through all the emotions but you will see the light and feel free too!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register