Becoming a Single Parent – I have no idea what to do!

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum Becoming a Single Parent – I have no idea what to do!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • #9650 Report


    A couple of weeks ago, my long term partner has told me that she wants to leave, set up her own flat, and live her life that way.

    I have no issues with this, whatsoever.  We’ve been drifting apart for the last couple of years.

    The issues are, we have 2 teenage kids.  Both of them will be living with me, as she’s a nurse and working odd hours.  My hours are closer to the kid’s hours.  This was a major relief to me too.  I knew we were going to be separating for some time, and when she said about me having the kids, I didn’t hesitate although there was a brief moment of ‘what?’.

    The problem is, I have no idea what to do.

    How to swap the child benefits to me. How to change the tax. What I can claim

    Is there like a checklist I can go through or similar?

    #9677 Report


    Support with any parenting problem: Family Lives 9am-9pm weekdays, 10am-3pm weekends FREE helpline 0808 800 2222

    These people can point you in the right direction…

    #9743 Report


    Hi there,

    I had no idea either. Never had any kind of benefit so found it difficult to know where to look. I found the government websites extremely unhelpful. I booked an appointment with Citizens Advice who told me what I was entitled to and where to apply. They also offered advice regarding my rights as a parent. I’d start with them.

    Good luck,

    Mel. 🙂

    #9747 Report


    Hi was in your position a few weeks ago, if you want to message me.

    #10440 Report



    Ring child tax credit they can help see if you can claim,Google became my friend,there will be a number yo can ring for child benefit, if your home is mortgaged that’s pretty much it ,oh you can ring council tax and get the 25% reduction,she will have to pay you maintenance so ring cma they are really good,but think that’s all, you can claim,I’m a single mum with a mortgage and unfortunately that’s all I get as I work,it’s crap really,good luck x

    #10456 Report



    It takes time but the best think to do is to call all the different people such as child benefit, tax credits, housing/council tax benefits etc individual and explain the situation and ask them to transfer in to your name it should be pretty easy to do. But if you have any problems then I would speak to citizens advice as when my partner walked out on me and left me with lots of other problems they were very helpful.

    Hope you get it all sorted, am always here if you need any help or fancy a chat just message me.

    Take care



Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register