Back to uni need financial advice !!!!!

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum Back to uni need financial advice !!!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • #16858 Report


    Going through UCAS at the moment to go to uni 2019. The area I live in has informed me they do not pay housing benefit to full time students even with a child ???!!!!!!

    How is it going to be possible for me to go ?

    The course I have chosen is social work so the placements equivalent to 5 days @ 9-5 mon to fri so unable to work.

    Woukd really appreciate any info xxx


    #16965 Report


    What? Maybe you spoke to the wrong person. I don’t think that’s right at all.

    #16973 Report


    It seems very strange doesn’t it.  Theb another person on my access course confirmed this.  She was also told this (she’s in the same council).

    I understand that they take student loans etc into consideration.

    It just disheartens me that a single parent is trying so so hard to develop and get progression from my part time job to an actual career that will the me out of the tax credits housing benefit top up system. And NO help !!! They matter of fact lying told me “no you probably won’t be able to go to uni !!!!!! You should have thought this through”


    #17108 Report


    That’s right. They expect you to take out a student loan like everyone else.

    I don’t know where you are but it’s pretty daunting being faced with what could be £25k debt from 3 years rent even in a less expensive place.

    Can you look at Open University instead? It would mean studying in the evenings / weekends but might be better in your circumstances.

    #17109 Report


    Hi. Have you looked on student finance calculator to see what finance and/or bursary you could be entitled to?

    #17118 Report

    If you’re a degree student and a single parent you’re eligible to claim either housing benefit or universal credit to help with housing costs. The amount you receive will depend on your income, including your student finance. You can find out more on the information section of this website under the heading Education. It would be a good idea to get some specialist advice about the benefits you can claim as a student. If you contact the Gingerbread helpline you can speak to an adviser and get a full benefit calculation.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Log in or register to reply to this thread

Log In Register