6 year olds and behaviour

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum 6 year olds and behaviour

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Nastbury 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

HayleySm
    Participant

I am a single mum to a 6 year old girl. I work full time and she stays with her father 2 nights a week.

Her behavior towards me lately has got really bad. She is rude, spiteful and selfish. She throws ‘I hate you!’ around and tells me she wishes I would go away so she can live with her father forever.

I am a creative person and like to keep her busy with lots of fun things. We do our little garden together, bake, paint and take our dog on long walks where we chat about our days, so I just cant see where I am going wrong? Is this just a phase? She is showered with love by me and my family.

Performance charts aren’t working and a naughty chair just seems to encourage more spiteful remarks from her.

Any advice on how to handle this behavior dip would be appreciated. I want her to see its disrespectful to treat people how she is treating me.

#10717 Report

Nastbury
    Participant

How long have you been a single mum?  Did she witness the period when you separated?

I’m just wondering if she is wishing you and her father were together, not separated, perhaps because some of her friends’ parents remain together.  So she is angry and blaming you (for reasons that you somehow need to glean from her).

6 is a challenging age, when they develop in lots of ways – feelings, thoughts, friendships, etc. We had many development issues with our 6 year old son. Now he’s 7, he has mellowed a bit.

Another thought: do you give her enough time to chill out and be self sufficient?  This helps them to be a little more independent, not expectant of entertainment.

Hope helpful.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)