6 year old son refusing to see his dad

Home Online forum Gingerbread Forum 6 year old son refusing to see his dad

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

LMurray85
    Participant

Hi, I am new here and am really hoping I can get some perspective from other single parents who maybe are or have went through something similar. I have been a single mum for around 5.5 years now and for the past 3 years have had a regular arrangement with his dad (not court ordered) the divorce simply states that I have main custody and that I will make arrangements for my son to see his dad on days agreed. Anyway the long and short of it is that we had it set out that he went to his dads every Monday and Wednesday and then every 3rd weekend. This took 2 years to agree to as his dad would cancel last minute and just do anything to stop me from moving on with my life. Anyway since February this year my son has been refusing to stay with his dad, it has gotten to the point where I have had to make him stay on a couple of occasions as his dad is stating that it is me that’s stopping him seeing his son.

When I ask my son why he no longer wants to stay with him, he says he doesn’t know, he just doesn’t and then gets really upset, on other occasions he will tell me that its cause his dad is always on his phone and doesn’t play with him, and other times he has said cause his dad is not actually there and he is left with his grandparents.. He is happy to spend a couple of hours with him after school but doesn’t want to stay. I have tried to have conversations with his dad and explain this but he just doesn’t believe that a 6 year old would say this and says he always makes time for him. But he is also a compulsive liar and I don’t believe a word that comes out of his mouth.

We have been through a couple of similar episodes of this where he has refused to stay but it usually is only for a night or 2 but this has now been going on for a few months and it doesn’t look to be getting any better. Has anyone else experienced this and did the situation resolve itself or do you think I can just go on with supporting my son in not seeing his dad? I make sure my son knows he’s loved and I have tried my hardest to ensure that he has a relationship with his dad but he tends to aggravate the situation more and not listen to what the actual problem is but blame me for anything and everything.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)